Cigna Medicare Advantage Plans 2023
- Premiums are low and even 0$ for some plans
- SNPs or Special needs Plans are available
- Most plans offer coverage for prescription drugs
- Additional benefits like a nursing hotline, and vision, dental and hearing coverage.
- 4.5 stars average rating
- The network coverage is limited to the local providers
- You may need referrals for seeing a specialist
- The customer satisfaction rate is below average
- Many customers switch to other plans
Selecting the right Medicare coverage is both tough and important. Also, with so many options available, making the right choice has become even more difficult.
And this is where we’ll help you. If you want the best Cigna Medicare Advantage plans for 2023, read along.
Deeper insights on Cigna Medicare Advantage plans
Cigna offers coverage to about half a million plan holders in around 23 states.
This makes Cigna one of the largest insurers in America. However, most plans by Cigna are HMOs. HMOs are plans where you have to stay within the provider network to get your coverage.
About 90% of the plans by Cigna bring along a $0 monthly premium.
And about half of the plans by Cigna come with all-in-one coverage for prescription drugs. You can enjoy cost-effective coverage from Cigna without any extra perks.
Does Cigna offer good quality?
Plans from Cigna garner a 4.5 Medicare Rating. This rating may be above average but it’s not excellent. Cigna delivers decent coverage at affordable prices.
But customers usually switch to other plans by the year’s end. Also, they report a below-average rate of customer satisfaction.
Who is Cigna recommended by?
Here are the areas in which reputed institutions recognized Cigna: –
- Cigna was honored by the National Business Group with the Advancing Health Equity Award.
- Cigna achieved the Recognition (Gold level) for Health Achievement at Workplace by American Heart Association.
- Cigna was given an A by A.M. for financial stability or strength.
- Cigna was named the Maryland PPO the Top Performing Health Plan by the National Alliance of Healthcare Purchaser Coalitions.
- Cigna was named in the hundred Best Corporate List of Citizens by CR Magazine or Corporate Responsibility Magazine.
How does Medicare Advantage by Cigna work?
The Cigna Medicare Advantage plans 2023 offer all the coverage you get from Medicare Part B and Part A.
As a matter of fact, you get more coverage & price options that suit your needs.
However, the coverage region is restricted to local providers.
For some services, you need a referral before you get the coverage. But there’s a perk.
You can enjoy extra benefits like a low or even $0 monthly premium.
You can also find coverage for prescription drugs with most plans that play the role of Part D of Medicare.
To register for Cigna Medicare Advantage plans 2023, you need to enroll during the initial enrollment period.
This period is a window including 3 months before or after your 65th birthday.
However, you can enroll earlier in case of a specific disability.
It’s possible with an open enrollment period every year. Enrolling is easy with this insurer. You can go online and register yourself. And that’s it.
What are some Medicare Advantage plans Cigna offers?
Here is a brief description of the plans listed by Cigna. The actual details may vary with vary where you reside. So, check with the local insurer before buying.
- Cigna Preferred (HMO) Plan
As a part of HMO, you’ll have to take coverage only from the providers in the local network. With this plan you can enjoy: –
- $0 Monthly premium
- $0 Monthly prescription drug cover
- $0 visit to your primary doctor
- Limited coverage of hearing, and vision problems
- Limited coverage for comprehensive and preventive dental care
For special care, you a referral is necessary, which you can get from your primary care doctor/physician. Also, Cigna’s plans do not cover massage or chiropractic services.
Verdict: For many people, this plan offers affordable coverage, excluding the extra benefits. However, for some, this plan can lack convincing and flexibility.
- Cigna Alliance (HMO) Plan
The Cigna Alliance comes with a higher annual maximum out-of-pocket price. You can still find the basic benefits like: –
- Little or $0 Monthly premium
- Coverage for prescription drugs
- Little or $0 deductibles
- Limited coverage for hearing, dental care, and vision.
However, to enjoy the benefits, you’ll need to visit the providers within the local network.
Verdict: Again, its an affordable option, but the perks and coverage outside the network is missing in this plan
- Cigna Premier (HMO-POS) Plan
This plan is similar to PPOs. It’s because, with HMO-POS, you can enjoy out-of-network care.
However, you’ll have to pay more money for those out-of-coverage area services. You may have to pay a little lower premium, but the maximum amount for out-of-pocket expenses will rise.
You’ll get coverage for: –
- Fitness memberships
- Comprehensive vision, dental care, and hearing and other routine care services
- Virtual doctor appointment
- 24/7 health hotline.
Verdict: If you want a flexible plan with some extra benefits, this is a great plan. You may have to pay some more money for this, but it’s still a cost-effective option.
- Cigna TotalCare (HMO SNP) Plan
Now, this is a Special needs plan for people who’re eligible for Medicaid and Medicare. The plan somewhat operates like an HMO plan, but it comes at low costs.
Verdict: If you’re eligible for both Medicaid and Medicare and have no issues with the HMO model, you can opt for this plan.
How do Medicare Advantage plans by Cigna compare to different insurance providers?
There are over eighty-six million people across the globe who enjoy coverage from Cigna.
And this makes Cigna the 7th largest insurer in the US. The company has a decent reputation and offers robust services. Also, Cigna has a good provider network offering quality services.
Most plans from Cigna follow the HMO plan type. And this makes it quite restrictive yet affordable as compared to other plans.
The good news is, Cigna’s network is expanding. And as more people are enrolling in their plans, they plan to offer better flexibility and choices to their customers.
What makes Cigna Medicare plans unique?
Affordable plans are one of the features that set plans from Cigna apart. Cigna adheres perfectly to the people with special requirements/needs with its Special Need Plans.
You can also find drug coverage with most plans from Cigna.
The Cigna Medicare Advantage plans 2023 are for you if: –
- You need an affordable option
- You’re eligible for SNPs of Special Need Plan
- You need an all-in-one plan with prescription drug coverage
What is the pricing like at Cigna, and are there any discounts?
About 90% of plans by Cigna come with a $0 premium. However, you’ll have to pay $164.90 in 2023, which is the standard premium for Part B of Medicare. But this is mandatory regardless of which Cigna Medicare Advantage plans 2023 you choose.
Also, you’ll have to pay for some copays. But a large number of HMOs by Cigna don’t obligate you to pay deductibles for drug or health spending.
How to check eligibility & enroll in Cigna Medicare Advantage plans 2023?
Well, you’re eligible if you: –
- Qualify for Medicare
- Reside in the US
You’ll have to enroll in this plan during the Initial Enrollment period and make changes within the Open enrollment period each year.
Whether or not this plan is available will depend on where you live. If your locality is densely populated, you may get 36-60 different plans to select from.
However, if not many people live around you, you may have fewer options.
The best part is that about 96% of Medicare members can access plans from at least 2 or more insurers.
For more information on Cigna Medicare Advantage plans 2023, just give us a call now at the number below!